Monday, October 10, 2011

Biblical Word Study

I like words. I'm a literary person and a writer. Yesterday I did a Biblical word study. Check out 2 Timothy 3:3. A word is translated "trucebreakers" in the KJV, and "irreconcilable" in the NASB. The root of this word is "spendo" in the Greek. Of course, the verse above contained its negative form.

The gist of this word is that a person is unwilling to sacrifice by spending himself or spilling his blood for someone with whom he had made a life-and-death covenant. Given this meaning, "trucebreaker" is appropriate. He didn't keep his covenant.

Sometimes I chastise myself for not being willing to sacrifice more for others, which is why I was doing the word study in the first place. I thought through my current relationships to see if I have just cause for chatising myself. I don't have any "covenants," other than contracts with employers (I'm an independent contractor) and church membership.

Then I thought of Communion. The word sacrament comes from "sacramentum" in the Latin. Apparently this word was originally used for an induction of soldiers into an army or cause (I've lost track of my source for this information).

Then I looked up the word "communion" in 1 Corinthians 10:16: sharing the body and blood of Jesus also carries the connotation of fellowship, participation, and partaking. I suspect this word has nuances of which English knows nothing. I'm recalling a preacher who once said that sexual intercourse was communion on the physical level. And he said it wasn't blasphemy to say that. It does point to an intimacy with Christ that we don't normally associate with Communion.

So I suspect Communion could be some kind of covenant commitment to Jesus that we are binding ourselves to die with Him.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home