Monday, March 14, 2011

Fasting During Lent

What is the significance of abstaining from meat during Lent? When I was a child, I had a Roman Catholic friend who, along with her whole family, abstained from meat on Fridays. My friend explained that they abstained from meat on Fridays (and probably during Lent), because if you don't, you might be eating Jesus. Where did this belief come from? This seems strange to me. Why would eating meat be cannibalistic? There is no connection between eating a piece of meat and Jesus Christ. Or was my childhood friend completely without understanding?

Some Protestants fast from meat during Lent. Why always meat? Or is it not always?

Fasting is good. Scripture commands it. But fasting during Lent is a Church tradition not found in the Bible. In fact, the concept of Lent is not found in the Bible.

I read somewhere that giving up something for Lent was intended to set aside something that would distract you from focusing on the Lord. Why wouldn't you want to do that ALL the time?

I know someone who abstains from meat during Lent. She is kind of new at her church, and I'm not sure she had a tradition of doing this previously. She makes no change in her lifestyle during Lent, and I can't see that this practice is helpful to her spiritually, though there might be some physical benefit. It would seem to me that to give up a bad habit, not only for Lent, but forever, would be better.

This person I just mentioned above watches violent and/or immoral movies while she is fasting from meat during Lent. She watches these types of movies all through the year. To me, giving up TV-watching would have a much better impact on her spiritual life than abstaining from meat. Why this huge disconnect between one's spiritual practices and one's lifestyle, and even one's relationship with Jesus?

We need to examine our practices to be sure they are in line with Scripture, and with Christ-centered living.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home