Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Leeward Hope Revisited

Last Friday I began reviewing my earliest blogs, editing some, and deleting some others. Much has changed since the beginning of this blog, including the nuts and bolts of putting together a faith-based non-profit ministry. We have sifted more to online ministries, but also assist refugees locally. We are now called Shelter of Hope, Inc. Another change, and a more important one, I think, is the change in me, the founder.

My earlier blogs noted much harassment of which I was the victim. During the gap in my blogging activity (2005-07), this increased in intensity and form, which I'll not describe here. Then two years ago the Lord showed me how I got myself into being victimized. A childish decision to be the chief sufferer in our household, because the family member who suffered the most got the most attention, set me on the path of the perpetual victim. As soon as I accepted the Lord's assessment, and chose not to be a victim anymore, the power of victimization was broken, to the glory of my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ!

The task of unlearning the habits of a victim, and learning better habits has so far been successful, and demonstrates both the grace of God and the power of strong, godly relationships, even one godly relationship. The grace of God is beyond description by any mortal, and is better embraced than explained.

The power of relationships is, I think, tragically underrated. There is a reason the Lord told us to disciple others. We learn best by seeing an example and by putting precept into practice. Much discipling has failed, because it is reduced to a system, rules to follow, and lists to check off. Anyone who has learned to tap in to the power of a personal, vital connection with Jesus Himself, and with the discipler, is truly blessed.

The one godly relationship I mentioned above, has rubbed off on me in a major way, and many people who knew me even a few years ago would recognize that such a change cannot be brought about on a merely human level. The Lord so clearly worked through this relationship, by this friend simply being who he is in Christ, with God's anointing so powerfully on him.

How many of this type of disciplers exist, I don't know. But I have another concern. Are we, especially as Americans, so fiercely independent that we would not submit to such a relationship? I suspect so. We can't do this by ourselves! We need a vital dependence on God, and strong connections with godly brothers and sisters in Christ.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home