Friday, January 08, 2010

Evangelism

I have a friend who claims to be an atheist. I have my doubts. She has too much interest in spiritual things. No doubt she has been blind, but the Lord is beginning to open her eyes. I am thankful for this, but it is only a beginning. The Lord opened her heart to the preached Word last Sunday. She told me, "Now I understand." Later she asked a question about baptism. Another friend had an outing with her two days later. It was mostly a fun time, but they also prayed together, not unusual for them me. What was unusual was that my unsaved friend asked her how she could pray her. She also said, "I pray God will accept me so I can pray for you." A prayer of faith or repentance? Follow up on my part revealed that it was not. But she is definitely on the road to faith in Christ. In another context, I have seen a well- meaning pastor pressure a young child towards baptism, because he had repeated a prayer led by his daddy. The child had not a clue what was going on. I fear we perform spiritual abortions because, in our zeal for their salvation (or for stars in our crown?), we pressure people who are not ready to be saved. We need to trust the Holy Spirit to bring about salvation in His time. He surely will.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home