Tuesday, November 02, 2010

Control vs. Cause

It's important to distinguish between God being in complete control, and God causing everything. Calvinists take it to such lengths that it makes God responsible for evil. Man has no choice. God foreordained everything. But Arminians believe that God is completely in control, but man's will is free. This makes man responsible for evil choices. "Elect from the foundation of the world." "According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love:" (Ephesians 1:4). "Whosoever will may come." "And the Spirit and the bride say, Come. And let him that heareth say, Come. And let him that is athirst come. And whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely" (Revelation 22:17). God's sovereignty gives me great comfort when I am struggling with great challenges. It gives me a sense of purpose. He takes my circumstances, and my wrong, free-will choices, and declares to me in the midst of them. "I am in control. Fear not. There is a purpose in this." Before the foundation of the world He planned to make this horrible mess, conform me more into His image, glorify Himself, and use me to further His Kingdom. And His purpose, and the outcome of all of this is glorious!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home