Monday, November 01, 2010

What Really Scares Me

I have a friend who is hyper busy. She gets so busy that she pushes people away emotionally in various ways. She is the type of person who seems to think that if there is a need that's not being met (in her estimation), she is the one who ought to fill it. She and her husband add to this problem constantly by taking frequent get-away trips for relief from all the stress of their too-busy lives. My friend even acknowledges that things pile up more and more each time they are gone, but they never get off the merry-go-round. So around and around they go. Not only do they spend so much time running away from their responsibilities, but it costs them a lot of money, too. I really feel pushed away often, and think that there are much better ways to spend their money. Their agenda and schedule are more important than people. And that's a problem! I know another lady who is also hyper busy, but in a different way. She repeatedly pushes herself to the point of collapse. She's over 70, still works full time, and engages in a multitude of other activities. She even goes at it on Sunday, taking no day of rest. (For the record, taking a weekly day of rest is one of the Ten Commandments). All of this woman's activity is by choice. She doesn't have to do any of this. In her case, I think she's trying to make up for the lack of approval she experienced as a child, by impressing people now. She gets the approval she wants from people. Most are duly impressed. But I see real danger here. In the case of the first friend I mentioned above, she and her husband obviously have the wrong priorities. Jesus was never too busy for people. And by always being the one to fill an alleged need, my friend keeps others from assuming responsibilities and growing in Christ. The second woman really scares me, though. “Be careful not to practice your righteousness in front of others to be seen by them. If you do, you will have no reward from your Father in heaven" (Matthew 6:1). Jesus said that those who try to impress people "have received their reward in full" (Matthew 6:2, 5). She's robbing herself of her rewards in Heaven. Not to mention the fact that Jesus commended Mary, who sat at His feet and listened to Him, and chided the busy Martha. And I am going to shift away from my friends, and speak of myself. I cannot judge any of my friends' relationship with the Lord. I cannot know whether or not they are trying to earn merit before God with their works. We all have different resources to use in serving God. We all fall far short of God's glory, need His grace, and must depend entirely on Jesus' blood and righteousness in order to be saved. I have become increasingly aware of that as I grow in Christ. And, yes, "faith without works is dead" (James 2:26). Nevertheless, I often think of the following passage: 22 "Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and in your name perform many miracles?’ 23 Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!’" (Matthew 7:22-23). And to me, that's the scariest thing of all! It is hard even for many Christians to get away from the notion that our works are important in the eyes of God. And no one should condone laziness. But "all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags" in the eyes of God (Isaiah 64:6 KJV). It's the relationship that's all-important. That's the main reason why I spend so much time alone with God, making sure He really knows me. (The other reasons are lack of resources, and health issues). And He has given me challenging work to do!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home