Thursday, November 11, 2010

To What Extent Forgiveness? The Price of Unforgiveness

I volunteer as an online missionary with Campus Crusade for Christ. The other day, an inquirer asked a question about forgiveness. I directed her to Matthew 18:23-35, about the servant whose master forgave him and canceled an impossible debt. But the servant would not, in turn, forgive and cancel the debt of a fellow servant who owed him a small debt. I pointed out that forgiveness is not just about saying that you forgive someone. It is about canceling their debts against you. I have been hurt many times and in various ways. A number of years ago, the Lord taught me this Truth about forgiveness and debt cancellation, because I was expecting my friends to pay me back for the hurts done to me by others. The Lord pointed out that this is not fair, since my friends had not sinned against me. Making them pay was wrong. He also reminded me that when He forgave me, He didn't just SAY He forgave me. He canceled my debt (Colossians 2:14). And I was to do the same. So I did. In addition, I believe that debt cancellation is what the Word means when it says that we are to forgive from the heart. At that time, the Lord also showed me that the basis for my forgiving anyone is His death and resurrection, which paid not only for my sins, but for the sins of all who sinned against me. (A Truth which a Calvinist cannot say, because they don't believe that Jesus died for the sins of the whole world). So Jesus paid for the sins of all who sin against you and me. AND THAT'S ENOUGH! We need to accept that and move on from our hurts. God's grace is enough for that. But as I reviewed this passage in order to help that inquirer the other day, the Lord showed me something I hadn't seen before. In Matthew 18:34, the master reinstates the servant's debt, and the punishment for it. And in verse 35, verse 34 is applied to us. I suspect his refusal to forgive and cancel the debt of another revealed that his heart had not been changed by his master's forgiveness, because it wasn't received by faith. But the point I am making here is that to fail to forgive another, shows that we reject the sufficiency of Christ's sacrifice, and treat it with contempt. And we dare not do that, for that is the unforgivable sin!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home