Monday, October 30, 2006

Last Weekend

Last weekend was very busy. We had a missions conference at church. Featured speaker was Dr. Robertson McQuilken, president emeritus at Columbia International University in Columbia, SC. A dynamic, but soft-spoken speaker. Awesome seminars, luncheons, and worship services. Our main project emphasis was World Relief Cambodia. The spokesperson was Joke (say Yo-ka) VanOpstal, a Dutch lady who is WR program coordinator. She's a dedicated single lady who has adopted six Cambodian children, and has cared for a seventh. A super weekend. More and more, I want to be in ministry again. Meanwhile, "back at the ranch..." I've worked for the past two weeks, and may work this week as well, but not today. I'm thankful for the work, but need something steady. Vocational Rehab did finally send me a denial. Do I appeal, or not? I'm always bumping into social workers at work. This one knows one of the doctor's at my church. He is a licensed neurologist, who diagnosed himself with MS. He is now a quadraplegic and has been in a wheelchair for at least 30 years. Nevertheless, he and his wife (an RN) hold a weekly clinic, even though he is in the last stages of MS. A dynamic Christian couple who say, "Marriage is a commitment, not a convenience." They should know. Anyway, the social worker at work said the doctor used to go to the stress center in his wheelchair and do evaluations on patients with physical problems. It occurred to me immediately that they would make good advisors for me in my vocational rehabilitation quest. They were at the missions luncheon yesterday. So I asked his wife about it. (He can't talk much due to a trach tube for a ventilator, which he's on at night). She does most of the talking for him. She seemed interested in them helping me, and seemed very knowledgeable herself. She said she'd talk to her husband, and we could talk later in the week. So, I am encouraged. Praise the Lord! The more I talk to people about Social Security Disability, the less I want it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home