Monday, January 31, 2011

Condolences

I'm finding it interesting what I think about after people die. Last week I went to a viewing. I didn't know the lady (age 57), but I know her youngest sister. I went in support of the sister. Someone reminded me of something the now deceased lady said to her mother shortly before SHE died. She told her that she had lived a pretty good life and could expect to go to Heaven. When I heard it, I went to the hospital and preached Jesus Christ crucified and resurrected, and Salvation by grace through faith. The lady was comatose, but people in comas can hear. I don't know how she responded, of course, though someone told me that I'd said that the lady relaxed after I spoke to her. I don't remember that. Then the same day of last week's viewing, I received a card in the mail from a retired missionary, that a long-time prayer warrior for her mission agency died last week. I'd been in prayer groups with her. But that night I didn't reflect about her. I reflected about another lady (couple, really) in the group who has since moved from the area. The lady (Mary) I reflected about called me one evening several years ago and said she wanted to give a testimony. She told me about a sordid part of her past and about how recently (at that time) the Lord had worked and made a blessing out of it. I learned later that she hadn't shared that with anyone in the prayer group, fearing disapproval. I don't have any fond memories of anyone in the group except Mary. The lady who died last week was in the group, and many have fond memories of her. I do remember a couple of nice gestures from her, and that's all. I wasn't very well connected with people for most of my life, so much of the blame for that falls on me. But the Lord has built some fond memories for me in relation to other people, the telling of which would fill a whole book.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home